As a Front End Developer, your main responsibility is for the production, modification and maintenance of websites and web application’s user interfaces. This involves working closely with designers, in using semantic mark-up language i.e. XTMTL/CSS, to turn their static Photoshop designs into working browser based web pages. You’ll also work closely with server-side developers to implement their server-side code in order to develop complex, interactive and database driven websites. Most of the time you’ll be working with an off-the-shelf or bespoke CMS, so you’ll work closely with the designers to integrate designs seamlessly into the chosen technology.
As a Front End Developer you’ll also be responsible for;
- Providing accurate timing estimates on work.
- Contributing to documentation (instructional, pitch and technical specification)
- Train other non-technical staff particularly designers.
- Contributing to the company development standards working closely with the Head of Development or Technical Director.
- Discussing technical solutions with clients and providing innovative new ideas to solutions.
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly in regard to accessibility, usability, and emerging technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market and position yourself and the company as a digital specialist.
- Constantly seeking to develop yourself by learning new technologies and keeping abreast of your markets developments.
Skills and experience necessary for this role:
- Excellent HTML, XHTML, CSS programming skills
- Coding valid XHTML and CSS mark-up
- Developing cross-browser and cross-platform compatible solutions
- Experience with JQuery
- Experience integrating with server-side code to produce dynamic pages
- Excitement about emerging web technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3
- Good understanding of Web Accessibility
- Experience working with version control systems such as SVN
- Experience building sites to at least an AA standard?
- Some experience in AJAX techniques
- Knowledge of HTML Email best practice desirable
Required work experience:
- Junior £22 – £25k
- Mid £25 – £35k
- Senior £35k +
- Head of Front End Development / Team Lead £45k+
Types of company/agency common for this role:
Most Front End Developers work in online focused businesses such as an eCommerce provider or social network site, or within a creative/digital agency. Essentially any business with a big web presence or that develops web solutions will employ good Front End Developers. Lots in mobile too now!
How many people is a Front End Developer likely to manage?
Jobs that could lead to this role:
- Junior Web Assistance
- Online Content Producer
- Graduate Developer Internship
Jobs that lead from this role:
- Senior/Technical Lead
- Technical Project Manager
- Development Manager
- User Interface Engineer
Training / reading that will help you get this role:
There are lots of forums and free tutorials online. This is a useful website: http://www.w3.org/. A formal computing/digital production degree would certainly be helpful.