There two main reasons for self-evaluation review for each employee every year in the company:
- It forces employees to evaluate themselves and their performance.
- It helps managers get their arms around whether or not an employee has an accurate understanding of their job performance.
So, you should use it as an opportunity to build your perceived value, distinguish yourself and show how strong your contributions are. This is a time to really leverage your accomplishments. Please take your time to honestly answer the following questions:
- What are our biggest priorities right now?
- Am I on track?
- Is there anything you’d like me to focus on?
- Where do you think I need to devote more time and energy?
- How can I help make your job easier?
- What could I have done better this year?
- What are my strengths?
- What are my weaknesses and how can I improve on them?
- Where can I take personal initiative and become a stronger employee who contributes more next year?
In order to develop your career path more effectively, you should:
Think about where you’d like to be in five years. Define your career aspirations. What’s the next job or promotion you’d like?
Research what it will take to be successful. Once you know where you’d like to be in five years, go find out what it will take to be successful in that position. What knowledge, skills, education and experience are necessary?
Determine your gaps and create a career development plan. Analyze and determine any gaps between where you are now and where you want to be. Do you need any additional training or education? Are there any other skills you’ll need to acquire? Write these down, as these will become the actions within your career development plan.
Brainstorm the support you’d like from your boss. During 2014, how would you like your boss to help you with your career development efforts? Do you want him or her to provide you with opportunities to lead challenging projects, to improve broken processes, to hone your public speaking skills or to pay for a class on time management?